Yes, you read it right. Though gigantic, fire-breathing dragons may only be mythical monsters not existing on the face of the earth, here is a miniature dragon which exists in real life. And guess what? It’s touted to be one of the most beautiful animals on the planet – and is called a ‘blue dragon’!
Image courtesy: Wikipedia
Here are some fascinating facts about this ‘dragon’ of sorts:
- In scientific terminology, it is called Glaucus atlanticus.
- Other common names of the blue dragon include – sea swallow, blue glaucus, blue sea slug, blue angel and blue ocean slug.
- Fully grown, it’s just more than an inch in length (up to 3 centimeters).
- It spends its life floating upside down in warm ocean currents, aided by the surface tension of water.
- It has a powerful venom and a fatal sting which has the ability to take down other larger animals at the drop of a hat.
- It has a camouflaged body – the blue color blending in with the blue of the waters.
As renowned American ornithologist Margaret Morse Nice very aptly put it: ‘The study of nature is a limitless field, the most fascinating adventure in the world’.
Leave alone dragons; wonder what fascinating organism we’ll come across next?